Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi with step-by-step pictures and a recipe video. Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi is the most basic and easy-to-make vegetarian main course items that are typical North Indian style curried potato in tomato puree. We all love Punjabi aloo ki sabzi, and aloo tamatar ki sabzi is just an extension of Punjabi recipe. This is undoubtedly, one of the most common dinner inclusions all across the nation, throughout four seasons.
PIN THIS IMAGE
I think the real joy in cooking is making the basic mundane food more and more interesting. Speaking of which, my potato gravy recipe here is a real winner. Sometimes you run out of veggies, or just want a quick meal, that requires the least amount of washing, peeling, chopping and stuff, perhaps while going somewhere, or coming back or just like that. This curry is the perfect answer in such situations.
But since each one sort of has their own version of it, I am only showing you my version of how to make dry tamatar ki sabzi, but you can also make gravy aloo tamatar ki sabzi. This recipe goes with roti and parathas, with some onions on the side, for a simple frugal dinner that is not short of wholesomeness
Adding tomato to the potato, I prefer simply grating by hand, instead of grinding it. Too much over too little, I think! Sometimes, I even hand crush the tomatoes and it tastes just as awesome. Don’t worry about the peel; it will get mixed with the curry. Speaking of the curry, it is totally up to you whether you want a curried gravy or a dry sauce-like consistency.
Do you know how many types of potatoes are there? I thought there are just 3-4 varieties. But there are close to 20 commonly used variants, in India. And according to Wikipedia, there are “thousand different types of potatoes” worldwide.
Aloo Tamatar ki Sabzi Recipe Video in Hindi
You can also try:
Well, coming down to the point, if you like new potatoes, it can be a great match with this recipe. I, however, happen to like the soft and mushy normal all-purpose potatoes (Chandramukhi, Potatoes, as available in Kolkata are my favourite). Due to the waxy and firm texture of new potato, the gravy and flavours don’t absorb as nicely as in soft all-purpose potatoes. But of course, each one their own.
★ Please give it a star rating below ★
Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi - Dry Aloo Tamatar Sabzi
Aloo Tamatar Ki sukhi sabzi is the most basic and easy-to-make vegetarian main course items that are typical Indian style
- 6-7 Potatoes medium-sized boiled
- 3 Tomatoes medium-sized
- 2 tsp Red chilly powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Mango powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Kasuri methi
- Coriander leaves Freshly chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 piece of dry red chilly broken into two pieces
- Whole garam masala
- 1/2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 3 pieces cloves
- 2 pieces cardamom
- Bay leaf
- Cut boiled potatoes into small pieces and keep aside.
- Grate tomatoes to make the puree and remove the skin. You can also grind tomatoes to make a puree.
- Now add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and half of the kasuri methi (keep rest of the Kasuri methi aside for further use), mix it well with tomato puree. Tomato paste is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan; once the oil becomes hot add whole garam masala and sautés it for few seconds.
- Now add cumin seeds and sauté till it becomes light brown.
- Now add broken red chilly, asafoetida, grated ginger and sauté it for few seconds.
- Now add tomato paste and sauté it on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes or till all the spices gets cooked.
- Now add cut potatoes, mix it well with the spices and sauté it on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add little water, mix it well and make medium thick gravy. Add water as per your desired consistency but medium thick gravy tastes better.
- Lastly add garam masala, mango powder, and remaining kasuri methi, mix it well again.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Roti, Paratha, Puri or Rice.
I have not added green chilly but if you want to eat spicily can add it accordingly.
★ If you like the recipe, then please give it a rating and Comment ★