You all must want to know that how to make Dum Aloo Recipe because you want to impress your loved ones. Aloo dum is a recipe whereby baby potatoes are deep fried and immersed into thick creamy textured restaurant style gravy. You can serve this aloo dum with jeera rice, aloo paratha, naan or other rice recipes.
There are so many variations to Aloo Dum recipe all around India. All states have their unique method of preparing Aloo dum. Some call it Kashmiri Aloo dum. I love the way Sanjeev Kapoor has been making aloo dum.
In this recipe, baby potatoes are deep fried and then tossed into thick creamy based curry or gravy, which bring a perfect flavor to this recipe. Aloo dum is my personal favorite. As we know Kashmiri aloo dum is a no-onion and no-garlic recipe. But in this recipe we are using both onion and garlic, hence it is not Kashmiri dum aloo recipe. I have used red chilly powder in this dum aloo recipe to make it spicy but you can add it as per your taste.
- Kadai Paneer
- Paneer Capsicum Masala
- Palak Paneer
- Homemade Paneer
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Veg Palak Paneer
- Gatte ki sabzi
Ingredients for Dum Aloo Recipe:
- 400 gm boiled baby potatoes
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ½ cup Curd
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 ½ tsp Red chilly powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 11/2 tbsp Oil for shallow fry
To roast & grind
- 2 medium sized chopped onion
- 10-12 pieces of Cashew
- Chopped ginger
- 2 piece Green chilly
- 10 piece of Garlic
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1piece cinnamon stick
- 2piece of green cardamoms
- 2 piece of cloves
How to cook Dum Aloo:
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onion, garlic, ginger,cashew, green chilly and cook till the onion becomes translucent and soft.
- Grind the onion mixture into a smooth paste when it becomes cool. Add little water if required.
- Put potatoes in a bowl. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Heat oil in the same pan and shallow fry the potatoes until light brown around the edges. Make sure you keep it turning in between to ensure even browning. Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
- Heat butter and 1 tsp oil in a kadhai, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Put onion paste, 1 tsp of red chilly powder and mix it well for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder, cumin powder, ½ tsp red chilly powder and mix it well.
- Stir continuously for 4-5 minutes or until oil starts to separate.
- When the mixture starts leaving the pan add tomato puree, salt and sauté for 2, 3 minutes. Be careful while adding salt. We have added salt while cooking potatoes.
- Put blended curd and mix it well on low flame.
- When the mixture starts boiling cover the lid and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Open the lid, add kasturi methi, garam masala and mix it well.
- Now add shallow fried potatoes and mix it well with the mixture.
- Add water as per your liking consistency of gravy and let it come to a boil. Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.