Crispy Chilly Potato Recipe- This is a very delicious Indo-Chinese starter recipe which is made with fried potatoes. All the spicy food lovers are going to like this dish. You can serve it as an evening snack as well. Crispy Chilly Potato is a very popular dish served in restaurants. I have tried to add all the Chinese elements in it to make it special and crispy. Let’s check out the recipe!
Crispy Chilly Potato Recipe
- 4-5 potatoes medium-sized
- Oil to fry
To make the batter:
- 1 onion medium-sized and thinly sliced
- Spring onions white part
- 1/3 cup Capsicum cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp Red bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 4 pieces green chilly slit lengthwise
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp red chilly sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- Spring onion green part for garnishing
- 2 tsp oil
How to make:
- Rinse and peel the skin of raw potatoes and cut vertically into 4-5 slices and then cut again into ½ inch thick sticks just like French fries.
- Put water in a pan and bring it to boil, once the water starts boiling add cut potatoes and boil till it is half cooked, do not overcook the potatoes. It takes around 7-8 minutes.
- Once done, switch off the flame and drain excess water. Let it cool down for a while.
To make the batter:
- Put rice flour, cornflour, red chilly powder( for color), salt to taste, black pepper in a bowl and, make a medium thick batter or, just like we make pakora batter by adding water. Add water as required.
- Put boiled potatoes in the bowl of batter and coat it evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan, once it’s hot enough, drop coated potatoes one by one into the hot oil and half fry the potatoes for a few minutes. Fry potatoes in batches. Once it gets half fried remove onto an absorbent paper and repeat the same process for the rest of the remaining potatoes.
- Now put the flame on high and instantly double fry the potatoes to make them crispy.
- Crispy fried potatoes are ready.
For the sauce:
- Heat oil in a pan and when it is hot add crushed garlic, grated ginger, green chili, sesame seeds and, sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions, the white part of spring onions and, sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped capsicum (green and red) and sauté for a while.
- Add soya sauce, tomato ketchup, red chilly sauce, black pepper, salt, honey and, mix it well.
- Add fried potatoes and mix them until well combined.
- Lastly add vinegar, green part of spring onions and mix it well.
- Crispy chilly potato is ready to serve.