See Recipe In Hindi
Sweet corn soup recipe with step by step photo – Corn is a favoured monsoon food in Kolkata. You can see a lot of “bhutta” or roasted corn stalls erupting here and there during this season. One such stall has taken place in front of my kid’s school, and my daughter has made this special bond with the corn selling lady, her “mashi”. And her mashi also sells sweet corn in packets, along with the roasted ones, which my daughter buys in bulk amount with her pocket money. And this is her take on responsibility towards the family by shopping for food.
And I somehow can’t say no to her. Meanwhile my fridge is over flowed with them. So this will be the day, I will make some sweet corn soup, to clear up all the bulk stock corn, once and for all. And in the rainy season, hot bowls of soup is a grand way to enjoy the rain.
Sweet corn soup is often requested by my husband and children when they are in the mood of having Chinese food. There are hundreds of different variations of sweet corn soup, but the Chinese happen to have overpowered the recipe. But the Thai, Tibetans, as well as Indians have their very own version, which, if you taste in their authentic form, will taste a lot different from each other. I have no idea about the origin of sweet corn soup. Point is we all love it.
This soup, an easy to prepare Chinese cuisine is very comforting in rainy seasons and during winters. It does not require a long process to make. Don’t fret over making it like the restaurants, there is nothing like classic, natural homemade food. It tastes best when served as an appetizer or with hard crisp toasted bread as a light dinner or evening snack.
I have been making this soup for many years; I keep the spices in the soup minimal so that the taste of the corn is more enhanced.
Sweet corn is a rich source of fiber and iron. It has some essential calories that is essential for a healthy diet. That’s why they are considered as one of the healthiest vegetables. So it’s actually a good thing my daughter has pushed us to the brink of consuming so much corn.
Enjoy this most comforting and filing vegetarian soup, on a cozy rainy evening. It is delicately flavored and wholesome, without being too heavy.
- Ingredients :
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup canned Sweet corn cream style
- 1/3 cup finely chopped French beans
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped Cauliflower
- 1 Maggi magic cube
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups of vegetable stock or as required
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- Spring onion for garnishing
Put 3 cups of vegetable stock in a pan and bring it to boil.
Once the vegetable stock starts boiling put all the finely chopped vegetables (carrot, beans, cauliflower), Sweet corn kernels, cream style sweet corns and mix it well.
Now add salt to taste, mix it well and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
To make cornflour paste, put 1 tbsp of cornflour and 3 tbsp of water in a bowl and dilute the cornflour.
After 3 minutes put diluted cornflour and stir it well and bring it to boil.
Now add seasoning: white pepper powder, maggi magic cubes, some green part of spring onions and mix it well and bring it to boil.
Sweet corn soup is ready to serve.
Garnish it with some chopped spring onions and serve hot.
How to make vegetable stock for soup:
- Put 4 glasses of water in a deep pan and add roughly chopped ¼ cup celery,1 small carrot,1/4 cup cabbage,1 inch ginger, white part of spring onion and 1 medium sized onion, 2 pieces of cloves, 2 bay leaves, 3-4 pieces of whole Black peppercorns and bring it to boil.
- Boil all the veggies for 20-25 minutes on medium flame.
- After 25 minutes switch off the flame .
- strain the water.
- This way your vegetable stock is ready.
You can add more veggies as per your taste and seasonal availabilities. You can add spring onions. I have used it to sprinkle and garnishing.
Many loves creamier soup rather than clean soup but i prefer creamy soup recipes. I have used cream style sweet corn, which enhances the flavor but you can also use regular corn in your pantry.
When i made this final sweet corn soup recipe at home, everyone at my home simply loved it. They infact told that it was even better than the restaurant. This is not to pamper me.
As i am a vegetarian, so chicken soup is strictly prohibited for us. But this version of soup is also very popular in Bengal specially Kolkata.
One thing, I strongly suggest you not to use is Ajinomoto. Ajinomoto is not an ingredient itself, but is a Food and Chemical corporation based in Japan that uses its name as a trademark for its original product Monosodium Glutamate. It is somehow believed to be not as safe to consume though.
How to make restaurant style sweet corn soup:
- Start by putting 3 cups of vegetable stock in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Once the vegetable stock starts boiling put all the finely chopped vegetables (carrot, beans, cauliflower), Sweet corn kernels, cream style sweet corns and mix it well. If you do not have cream styles sweet corns in that case take boiled sweet corn kernels and coarsely grind it to make the creamy texture.
- Now add salt to taste, mix it well and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame till the veggies become little soft.
- Meanwhile let’s make the cornflour paste. To make cornflour paste, put 1 tbsp of cornflour and 3 tbsp of water in a bowl and dilute the cornflour.
- After 3 minutes put diluted cornflour ( cornflour generally settles down so mix it well before pouring) ,stir it well and bring it to boil. If the mixture becomes slightly thick then add vegetable stock accordingly.
- Now add seasoning: white pepper powder, maggi magic cubes, some green part of spring onions and mix it well and bring it to boil.
- Sweet corn soup is ready to serve.
- Garnish it with some chopped spring onions and serve hot.
- If you do not have maggi magic cubes then skip it.
See Recipe In Hindi