Winter is just blossoming and lots of green veggies are already there in the market. including broccoli, carrot, cabbage, green peas and others. Cabbage is definitely the most favorite vegetable for me. I love cabbage and prepare many foods using cabbage.
This recipe is inspired by cabbage rolls recipe by Nita Mehta. It’s a real tread eating this cabbage rolls. I have given this recipe a bit of my own Indian touch. It came out really very tasty and yummy.
I made these cabbage rolls without any gravy but you can make tomato or or any other sauce for this rolls. Dip these rolls into this thick sauce and a new recipe is ready.
Other breakfast and snacks recipes you may like:
This recipe is a complete vegan and vegetarian recipe, if you don’t use cheese. I use to make this rolls regularly for our home cooking. I generally experiment with veggies usually broccoli or other veggies. I sometimes also change seasonings to give it a nice twist.
You can use haldi or turmeric as it is a very good anti-oxidant. Read here the benefits of turmeric. This makes it healthy too. You can add any ingredients for stuffing you like. You can also add raisins, cinnamon, cayenne or quinoa.
My Recent Video on YouTube
Stuffed cabbage rolls recipe video
How To make stuffed Indian cabbage rolls
- 4-5 cabbage leaves
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ¾ tsp Vinegar
- ½ tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- Olive oil to cook cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp Grated Ginger
- ½ tsp Crushed garlic
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped French beans
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely chopped green capsicum
- 8-10 pieces chopped olives
- ⅓ cup boiled sweet corns
- Salt to taste
- ¾ tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- Pizza seasoning/Italian seasoning
- Red chilly flakes as needed
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Mozarella cheese (optional)
- Take one head cabbage and separate the leaves by cutting the stalk. Remove the hard part/ spine from each leaf so that it will become easy while rolling.
- Wash the leaves and pat dry all the cabbage leaves.
- Brush each cabbage leaf from both the sides with olive oil before cooking in pan.
- Heat non-stick pan on medium high flame and cook one by one cabbage leaves from both the sides by pressing it with spatula till dark brown spots/patches appears on the leaf. This way it will give nice smoky flavor and also leaves will becomes soft and get rolled easily.
- Take out the leaves to a plate and toss it lightly to make it flavorful by adding vinegar, salt and crushed black pepper.
- To make stuffing heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan, once the oil becomes slightly hot add grated ginger and crushed garlic, sauté it for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onions, beans and sauté it on medium flame till onions become translucent and beans little soft (I have added beans first because it takes time to get soft).
- Add chopped yellow and red bell pepper, boiled sweet corns, chopped olives, green capsicum and mix it well. Add salt to tatse to make the cooking fast and sauté veggies on medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Do not overcook the veggies, let it be crunchy.
- Lastly add pizza seasoning or Italian herbs’ red chilly flakes as needed (If you don’t like spicy food then skip it), vinegar and mix it until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and let it slightly cool down.
- Take one cabbage leaf at a time on a flat surface and spoon the stuffing/filling into the center of the cabbage leaves along the vein. Spread about 2-3 tbsp of mixture in each, depending upon the size of the leaves.
- Grate some mozarrella cheese on top of the stuffing (if you don’t like can skip this step)
- Roll the leaf with the filling into neat cylinder shape. Cut the rolls into 1 to 11/2 inch pieces. Now take a tooth pick, insert black olives, red bell pepper and insert the tooth pick in each stuffed cabbage rolls to seat it tightly.
- Serve the Stuffed cabbage rolls at room temperature with schezwan sauce.
Chop up the remaining small and damaged cabbage leaves and use it to make any stuff.