Stuffed Suji Balls Recipe- It is a very interesting recipe that is prepared from semolina with vegetable stuffings. When it comes to adding vegetables, I prefer French beans, onion, carrot, potatoes, coriander leaves, and green chili, all of which are finely chopped. The flexibility that this recipe offers to us, in terms of vegetable adding, is simply remarkable. You can also put in the veggies of your choice.
Many ask me to make snacks recipes without oil for breakfast and other courses, but this homemade healthy snack uses very little oil.
Stuffed Suji Balls
- 2 medium sized potatoes boiled
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Ginger grated
- Chopped green chilly
- Few sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbsp carrot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp green peas frozen
- ½ tsp Red chilly powder
- ½ tsp Sambhar masala
- ¼ tsp mango powder
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
How to make Stuffed Sooji Balls:
- Heat oil in a pan, add carom seeds and let the seeds crackle and turns light brown.
- Now add semolina/suji and roast it on low flame for 4-5 minutes till fragrant. Keep stirring while roasting otherwise suji may get burn from downwards.
- Once roasted add 2-3 cups of water, salt and cook till suji absorbs all the water and mixture becomes thick.
- Once done, keep aside and let it cool down for sometime. Meanwhile let’s prepare the stuffing.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and let the seed splutter.
- Add ginger, green chilly, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add carrot, onion, peas and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium high flame.
- Add boiled, mashed potatoes and all the spices sambhar masala, red chilly powder, mango powder, salt, coriander leaves. Mix till all the spices get well combined.
- Stuffing is ready.
- Take small portion of suji mixture, roll it in your palms and spread it with the help of fingers.
- Take small portion of stuffing and put it in the center of small disc. Bring all the edges together, seal it tightly and roll it in your palms to make smooth ball.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining mixture.
- Once all the balls get prepared keep it onto greased plate to steam. Make sure the container in which we are going to steam the balls should have small holes.
- For steaming put a glass of water in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling put the container of balls over the pan, cover the lid and let stuffed suji balls steamed for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- After 10 minutes uncovered the lid and take out the suji balls from the greased container.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add chana dal, curry leaves, dry red chilly and saute till chana dal becomes light brown and crisp.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and mix it well.
- Add steamed stuffed suji balls and mix gently.
- Lastly add garam masala, lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Stuffed suji balls are ready.