Khasta kachori recipe with step by step pictures – Hello Friends, today I will be sharing with you my version of Khasta Kachori Recipe that is a popular Indian breakfast item from Delhi. This is a type of confectionary cum snack food, consisting of a crispy outer shell of all-purpose flour that has mushy stuffing made of spiced moong daal paste and gram flour. This is usually bought from the confectionary or street food shops, but with my step by step recipe, you can have your own homemade khasta kachori easily.
While kachori is a type of fried bread, khasta kachori is considered as a fried snack, almost like a dumpling. It originates from Delhi, wherein it’s also called Raj Kachori. It is equally popular in Rajasthan, and Varanasi, and is widely available in Bengal too, largely served at sweet shops at early morning along with jalebis or rabdi. This is a very common breakfast food in this city: Kachuri-Jilipe (in Bengali accent).
Making the crispy kachoris doesn’t take hard work, it takes smart work. Do it exactly the way I have mentioned. You will need soft dough, and while deep frying on medium flame make sure it is not over fried. Do not crowd the pan, and hasten while turning them, give the kachoris enough room to cook and float in the oil.
So go on, try it yourself, the tasty, crispy and healthy kachoris by following my step by step guide of how to make khasta kachori at home, you can also watch my khasta kachori recipe video online, on my Youtube channel, Mint Recipes.
Khasta Kachori Recipe Video in Hindi
It’s not only a good breakfast item, you can also have it as a favourable vegetarian anytime snack, and pack in kid’s lunch boxes too. This is one of my on the go foods, that is healthy and wholesome and doesn’t require sitting on the table, so it’s a hit with my children.
I am showing you moong daal khasta kachori recipe, you can certainly have other varieties of stuffing, such as potato, or cauliflower, or mix vegetables. Serve it hot and see it disappearing almost instantly.
To add more taste I am adding ghee, if you don’t use ghee, then this vegetarian snack recipe can turn into a delicious vegan snack recipe. I have immense respect for vegans and love it when I hear from them, as I have received such messages many times, telling me that they have tried my recipes and loved them.
[sc name=”rate us”]
Khasta Kachori Recipe
- 2 cup soaked moong dal
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- 2 piece Chopped green chilly
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1-1 1/2 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp asafoetida
To make dough:
- Put all purpopse flour, salt, ghee and rub the flour by using finger tips till it becomes crumbly or bread crumbs like texture. You can add oil instead of ghee but kachori will become more crispy while adding ghee.
- Add water gradually and knead soft pliable dough. Cover and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile let’s prepare stuffing.
- Put oil in a pan and make it hot.
- Now add coriander seed, cumin seed, mustard seed, fennel seed, mix it well for few seconds and wait till seed splutter.
- Add grated ginger, green chilly, asafoetida, sauté it for few seconds.
- Add soaked moong dal( I have soaked moong dal with sufficient water for an hour)with little water and cook it on medium flame till water evaporates by stirring continuously. It takes around 3-4 minutes to get cooked.
- Add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder,1-1 1/2 tsp salt, mix it well.
- Lastly add gram flour/besan and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add gram masala, mango powder, mix it well.
- Moong dal stuffing is ready. Leave aside to cool down for sometime.
- After 20 min uncovered the dough and knead the dough again to make it smooth and divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Now take big lemon size ball and roll it with the help of roller into small disc shaped circle just like we make puri or into 2 inch diameter circle.
- Put1 1/2 -2 tsp of moong dal stuffing in the center of rolled disc, bring all the edges together and seal it tightly, remove excess dough and press it gently with your fingers so that edges gets sealed properly.
- Now roll it gently again into 2-3 inch diameter with the help of roller to give the shape of kachori. Do not roll by applying pressure otherwise outer layer get break and stuffing will come out.
- Repeat the same process to make rest of the kachoris.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium low flame, make sure oil should not be very hot when it is medium hot then slide one by one rolled kachori into hot oil and fry by pressing it gently with spatula.
- Once get fluff keep the flame on medium low and fry until golden brown and crisp from both the sides. If you will fry kachoris in hot oil then it will get brown very faster and become soft when cool down so always fry at medium low flame to make it crispy even after it cools down. Always fry in batches, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Once done, take out on a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the same process to fry rest of the kachori.
- Khasta kachoris are ready to serve. You can store these kachoris for few days in an air tight container. Take out from the container when required and make chat by using coriander chutney or tamarind chuitney or can serve with tea also.
How to make Khasta Kachori Recipe
- Put all purpose flour, salt, ghee and mix it well. You can use add oil also but kachori will become more crispy while adding ghee
- Add water and knead a soft dough. Cover and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes
- Put oil in a pan and make it hot
- Now add coriander seed, cumin seed, mustard seed, fennel seed, mix it well for few seconds and wait till seed splutter
- Add grated ginger, green chilly, hing,sauté it for few seconds
- Add soaked moong dal with water and cook till water evaporates cook it for 3-4 min on medium flame till water evaporates
- Add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder,1 11/2 tsp salt, mix it well
- Lastly, add besan and cook it for 3-4 min
- Now add gram masala, mango powder, mix it well
- After 20 min knead the dough again to make it smooth
- Now take lemon size ball
- Once get fluff to keep the flame on medium-low and fry until brown and crisp