Potato Cheese Toast recipe with step by step photos – Potato cheese toast is an excellent breakfast item. This simple and healthy recipe will surely make your regular bread butter breakfast more interesting.
This is made with regular bread toast layered with mild spicy mashed potato and mozzarella cheese. This can be a simpler version of my other Italian inspired recipes like bread pizza and Italian bread tokri. I also love the way Tarla Dalal make this potato cheese toast
I am using minimal spices of cumin, chilies and a little seasoning of coriander, topped with the cheese. You can use a different seasoning, like oregano, parsley or just black pepper.
You may also add chopped tomatoes and onion for more taste. I am keeping it minimal, because if you overload the topping of the bread, it is likely to spill the toppings with the first bite.
If you are looking for more sandwich or bread recipes then you can surely try veg curd sandwich, mayonnaise sandwich, cheese cream sandwich and if you prefer somthing innovative then must try bread dhokla sandwich
So sometimes, it is better to keep things simple. You may or may not cut the sides of the bread, and/or give it a round shape to make it look like mini pizza. You can also do this on OTG or bake it in the microwave on 200° Celsius for about 10 minutes or until the bread gets golden brown.
I recently made this breakfast as we were going to a relatives place early in the morning to attend a function. Its monsoon time in India and my sleepy headed family needed a warm and energizing breakfast at 6:00 am, on a rainy morning, and I wanted to make something less elaborate.
So I made this quick recipe, and it well served the purpose. We had it with some bournvita (for children) and black coffee. And we all loved it.
I usually have some boiled potatoes in my fridge, since we eat a lot of potato and it is very handy to cook up something quick. I always refrigerate boiled potatoes with their peels on, as it protects them from getting dry.
Before you transfer the potato to the heated pan, mash them coarsely with a fork, to distribute the moisture that accumulates due to condensation, and thus helps it blend quickly with the spice.
You can also pour the tempered spice into a bowl of mashed potato, and then mix them all together with your fingers.
How to make potato cheese toast at home:
- Mash 7-8 pieces of medium sized boiled potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, once the oil becomes hot adds cumin seed and sauté it on medium flame till it becomes light brown.
- Now add grated ginger, chopped green chilly and sauté it for few seconds.
- Now add onion, sauté it on medium flame till it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander leaves, salt and mix it well till all the spices gets blended well with the mixture.
- Potato mixture is ready.
- Apply butter evenly on one side of bread.
- Take a non-stick pan and put the butter side down on tawa and cook it on medium low flame till it becomes light brown from downwards side.
- Once cooked or get roasted, take out the bread from tawa.
- Spread 2 tbsp. of potato mixture evenly on cooked side of bread. Spread some grated mozzarella cheese on top of the potato mixture.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining bread slices.
- Put the Cheese potato toast in the same pan or tawa.
- cover with the lid and cook it on low flame till the cheese gets melt and bread become brown and crisp. It takes around 2-3 minutes to get roasted.
- After 3 minutes uncovered the lid and take out open cheese potato toast in a serving plate.
- To give the Italian taste you can garnish it with some Italian seasoning and red chilly flakes to make it spicy.
- Cut into slices and serve hot.
- You can also bake it in oven on 200 degree Celsius for 10 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- If you do not have mozzarella cheese then you can use amul processed cheese to make this recipe.