Ragda Patties Recipe- Are you fond of having roadside chaat dishes? If yes. then let’s check out the Ragada Patties recipe that I have prepared. It is a popular Mumbai street food. It’s also known as aloo tikki chaat served along with chole. After the pandemic, most of us don’t prefer having an outside chaat. So, now is the best time to prepare this at home for evening snacks.
Ragda Patties Recipe
- Coriander chutney
- Tamarind chutney
- Sev as required
How to Make:
To make Ragda:
- Wash and soaked dry peas in water for 8 hours or overnight. It gets double in size so add water accordingly.
- Drain water and put soaked peas in a pressure cooker along with a glass of fresh water, salt and, turmeric powder.
- Now cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on a medium flame for 4-5 whistles or till the peas become soft.
- After a few whistles, switch off the flame and let the pressure go down by itself.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker and keep it aside. Do not discard water, use it to make Ragda. Let’s make the masala mixture for Ragda.
- Heat oil in a pan, once the oil becomes hot add grated ginger, crushed garlic, green chili, chopped onions and, sauté it on medium-high flame till the onion becomes translucent.
- Now add this mixture with cooked peas and add spices, black salt, cumin powder, red chilly powder and, freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix it well and mash it with the back of the spoon and cook till it boils. Consistency should be slightly thick so add more or less water accordingly.
- Do not make it very thick consistency as it’s getting thicker when cool down.
- Put boiled and mashed potatoes, grated ginger, chopped green chilly, salt, garam masala, red chilly powder, mango powder, chopped coriander leaves and, bread crumbs for binding in a mixing bowl.
- Mix till all the spices get well combined.
- The potato mixture is ready.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions, take one portion roll it in your palms and, press it lightly to give the shape of Tikki.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the potato mixture.
For shallow frying:
- Put 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and once the oil becomes hot place patties one by one into the pan.
- Do not overcrowd the pan and let the patties cook for a few minutes from downwards.
- Once it becomes golden brown from downwards, flip it over and cook from another side as well
- Once both sides become golden brown, take it out onto the plate.
To make dry masala mixture:
- Put chaat masala, cumin powder, red chilly powder, black salt, salt and mix it well to make masala.
For assembling Ragda Patties:
- Place one tikki in a serving plate or you can also place 2 to 3 tikkis/ patties at a time.
- Now pour prepared ragda over the patties and fully covered it.
- Top with tamarind chutney, yogurt, coriander chutney and sprinkle dry masala mixture (You can adjust the quantity as per your taste).
- Garnish with chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle sev and chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Ragda Patties are ready to serve.