This idli cupcake recipe is an innovative South Indian recipe. This recipe has a very unique look to it. I also loved the taste of this idli recipe. You will love it too.
I have used beet root which helps it take red color. You can use this recipe in any party or kitty parties. It’s also a healthy recipe for breakfast. i used microwave to make this recipe.
More south Indian recipes for you:
This is a very simple recipe and you can make this is in very less time. I have used microwave to make this idli cupcake. Then i have decorated it with nariyal ki chutney.
Other breakfast and snacks recipes you may like:
- Suji Kachori, Kalmi Vada
- Besan Ka Chilla
- Pav Bhaji
- vegetable Poha Cutlet
- Bread Uttapam
- Bread Idli
- Macaroni Cheese Balls
- Veg paneer cheesy bites
- Khandvi recipe
How to make red Idli cupcake:
- 1 cup semolina/Suji
- ¾ cup thick yogurt
- 1 medium sized beet root
- ½ inch piece of grated ginger
- 2 pieces of finely chopped green chilly
- Salt to taste
- 1 sachet Eno
- For tempering:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seed
- 2 tbsp of chana dal/ Bengal gram (soaked in water)
- 8- 10 pieces of broken cashews
- Few sprig of curry leaves
- 2 broken dry red chilly
- Take a jar and put chopped beet root and grind into a smooth paste by adding water. Beet root paste is ready.
- Take a Bowl and add Semolina, yogurt, 4 tbsp of beet root paste and mix it until well combined. I have used beet root paste to get the red colour so add the beet root paste as bright colour you want.
- Cover it and let the batter rest for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile let’s prepare the tempering.
- For tempering: Heat oil in a pan and once the oil becomes hot and mustard seed and let it crackle.
- Add soaked chana dal, cashew and sauté it on medium flame till it becomes light brown in colour.
- Lastly add few sprig of curry leaves, broken dry red chilly and sauté it for few seconds. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- After 15 minutes uncovered the batter and you will see the batter has become slightly thick. Now add salt to taste, grated ginger, chopped green chilly and add ½ of the tempering (keep ½ of the tempering for garnishing). Now add water gradually and make a smooth batter. Keep on adding water until you get the proper consistency.Batter should not be very thick or thin.
- Batter is ready now but before adding eno arrange the cup liners in a muffin tray.
- At the very end add eno and mix it well. After adding eno/soda do not stir too much otherwise bubbly effect will go away. After adding Eno fruit salt doesn’t keep batter for long time otherwise Idli will not be spongy so transfer the batter immediately into the cup liners.
- Spoon the mixture into the cup liners until they are half full. Now keep the muffin tray in a microwave for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes take out the muffin tray from microwave and arrange the idli cupcake in a serving tray.
- Garnish the Idli cupcake with coconut chutney so spoon the coconut chutney into a piping bag and cut the tip. Pipe the coconut chutney onto the idli cupcakes.
- Garnish the Red Velvet Idli Cupcakes with left over tempering and serve.
If you are making idli cupcakes in batches then do not add soda or eno at once. Put eno in the mixture which you are going to steam and let the extra batter wait on counter top to finish the first batch steaming. Once you finish the first batch steaming then again put soda/eno in second batch and steam.