Have you ever thought of making Chocolate Rava cake or suji cake in pressure cooker. In this rava cake recipe, I have used semolina (Suji). To even my surprise, it turned out so delicious, that i was over delighted. I have also made a vanilla cake in pressure cooker.
I have made many other cake recipes in a pressure cooker as well like vanilla Cake, chocolate cake, tutty fruity cake, spongy biscuit cake, black forest cake, Eggless Zebra Cake, Fruit Jelly Cake Dessert, Eggless Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Mousse Cake
Truly, you possibly cannot blame the kids when they grumble being fed with upma and tasteless porridge every day before leaving for the school. In fact, who wouldn’t? However, today is a big day when you are going to treat them with something different; something delicious, something healthy too. Yes; you have guessed it right – It will be a tasty, wholesome Chocolate Semolina Cake or Eggless Suji Chocolate Cake made out of ingredients already available in your pantry.
You may also add some dry fruits that have been leftover from last week’s anniversary party held in the home. What’s more, you can prepare the cake in your pressure cooker, though you may have to remove the Regulator (steam escaping weight valve) for better setting of the cake. Of course, the entire process is guided through dynamic food writer-cum-chef Reshu Drolia, who also owns cutting edge culinary website MINTRECIPES.
Meanwhile, let’s take a sneak peak at some of the health benefits of having semolina that suits adults and children alike.
- Semolina is made from durum wheat, so it is digested slowly. This helps you feel full longer and prevents overeating.
- Semolina improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- If you add some chopped nuts and raisins to your semolina porridge or cake, its nutritional value as well as taste increases.
- Add some chopped vegetables to savory semolina upma, and you have a power-packed, delicious, meal in a bowl.
- Semolina is a good source of two vital vitamins: E and the B group. Both are essential for good immunity from disease.
- For those who lead active life, semolina is a quick and nourishing source of energy.
- The trace minerals in semolina, such as phosphorus, zinc and magnesium, are beneficial for the health of your bones and nervous system.
However, you may have to skip semolina if you are bothered with gluten intolerance.
The most important thing about this cake is that i have made this rava cake in pressure cooker and this is a very easy suji cake recipe. It was so easy to make this cake in pressure cooker. You can also make this cake in microwave oven. I will show you in this recipe, how to make chocolate suji cake using pressure cooker and without egg.
Chocolate Rava cake
Take a deep bowl and add semolina/ Suji/ rava in it. Take a fine semolina/suji to make cake but if you do not have fine rava then keep it in a grinder and grind to make it fine.
Now firstly add all the dry ingredients chocolate powder, cocoa powder, icing sugar (you can also add grounded sugar) and chopped dry fruits as per your taste. I have used almonds, cashews, raisns and walnuts.
Mix well all the dry ingredients.
After mixing add yogurt, vegetable oil, cardamom powder and pinch of salt. Mix it well.
Now add ½ of the milk (keep ½ of the milk in reserve) and mix the milk with the batter and make lumps free and smooth batter.
Cover the batter and let it rest for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes uncovered the batter. You will find the batter has become slightly thick and suji has become fluffy.
Now add reserved milk gradually and make a medium thick batter.
Before adding soda and baking powder let’s boils the water.
Take a pressure cooker and keep it on flame then put the stand in a center of the cooker.
Now pour 2 1/2 glasses of water.
After pouring the water take a deep bowl and put it on the stand which is inside the water and also filled the bowl with water. Now bring the water to boil.
Meanwhile add soda, baking powder and mix it well.
Grease the mould or cake pan with butter and drop the cake batter into the grease mould. Tap the pan so that the batter should evenly spread without any air bubbles.
Pour some dry fruits on top of the batter
Place the mould very gently upon the deep plate filled with water in the pressure cooker.
Remove the whistles of pressure cooker and cover the lid and cook the cake for 20-25 minutes on low flame.
After 20 minutes open the lid and you will find the cake has become fluffy. Insert a toothpick or knife and check the cake if it is cooked properly from inside or not. If the toothpick comes out clean it means the cake has cooked properly. If not then cook again.
After 10 minutes open the lid and again check the cake by inserting a toothpick.
Take out the mould from pressure cooker and let it cool down completely.
Once the cakes become cool scratch the sides of pan and unmould it.
Soft and spongy semolina chocolate is ready now.
Cut into desired shape and serve.
Equipment Used :
How to make eggless chocolate semolina cake in cooker (Rava):
- Start by taking a deep bowl and add semolina/Sooji/rava in it. Take fine semolina/suji or rava to make cake, but if you do not have fine rava then keep it in a grinder and grind to make it fine. I have used Ganesh Suji to make this semolina cake.
- Start by adding all the dry ingredients. As I am going to make chocolate suji cake, so add chocolate powder and cocoa powder. But if you are going to make plain Semolina cake, then skip these two ingredients (chocolate powder and cocoa powder). Adjust the quantity of both the powders as per your taste.
- Add icing sugar, but if you do not have icing sugar, take the sugar which we used daily in our kitchen and grind it into powder. This rava sugar combination will give it a sweet flavor.
- Add chopped dry fruits as per your taste. I have used almonds, cashews, raisins and walnuts and just broke into pieces.
- Mix well all the dry ingredients.
- After mixing add yogurt, vegetable oil (instead of vegetable oil you can use melted butter or melted ghee), cardamom powder, pinch of salt and mix it well.
- You can see the mixture is very thick so add milk accordingly. I have used ¾ cup of milk to make the batter. Add ½ of the milk this time and ½ of the milk we will use it later on. Now mix the milk with the batter and make lumps free and smooth batter.
- Batter is ready now cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes open the lid and you will see the batter has become thick because semolina has absorb all the milk. So add rest of the milk accordingly to make smooth batter. You can take milk as per your requirement). Keep on adding milk until you get the proper consistency. Batter should not be very thick or thin.
- Batter is ready now but before adding soda and baking powder let’s boils the water. As we are going to make chocolate semolina cake in pressure cooker, so take a pressure cooker and keep it on flame. Then put the stand in a center of the cooker.
- Now pour 2 1/2 glasses of water. After pouring the water take a deep bowl and put it on the stand, which is inside the water. Also fill the bowl with water and bring the water boil.
- At the very end, add baking powder and soda. Mix it well.
- Grease the mould or cake pan with butter and drop the cake batter into the greased mould. Tab the pan so that the batter should evenly spread without any air bubbles.
- At last, i am going to pour some dry fruits on top of the batter. You can decorate the cake as per your liking.
- Place your mould very gently upon the deep plate filled with water in the pressure cooker.
- Remove the whistles of pressure cooker and cover the lid and cook a cake for 20 minutes on low flame. You can also bake the cake in a pre-heated oven on 180 degree for 30-35 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, open the lid and you will find the cake has become fluffy. But let’s check the cake whether it is cooked properly from inside or not.
- Insert a tooth pick or knife. If the knife comes out clean it means the cake has cooked properly. But mine cake is still not cooked properly from inside so cover the lid again and cook for 10 minutes more on medium high flame.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and again check the cake again by inserting a toothpick. This time toothpick comes out clean it means the chocolate semolina has cooked properly from inside as well. Take out the mould from pressure cooker and let it cool down completely.
- Once the cakes become cool scratch the sides of pan and unmould it.
- Soft and spongy semolina chocolate is ready now.
- Cut into desired shape and serve.
- Make sure that the water should start boiling before placing the mould (filled with batter) in it otherwise it will take time to cook and cake will not become spongy.