Upma is a very popular dish all over India and today we have added a very unique twist to this recipe. It is a very popular breakfast dish in South India and is very healthy too. Vermicelli Upma is also known as Sevai Upma, Namkeen Sevai, Sevai pulao, Vermicelli pulao, etc.
Prepare this recipe in just 15 mins and enjoy it on a lazy Sunday with family and kids. Other breakfast and snack recipes you may like: vegetable Poha Cutlet, Bread Uttapam, Macaroni Cheese Balls, Veg paneer cheesy bites, Bread Dhokla Sandwich, Khandvi recipe, etc.
- 120 grams vermicelli
- 2 tsp oil
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- Few sprig curry leaves
- 2 pieces green chilly finely chopped
- ¼ cup potato finely chopped
- ¼ cup Carrot finely chopped
- ¼ cup French beans finely chopped
- ¼ cup Onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup green capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Green peas boiled
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- ¾ tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp spring onions
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
How to make:
- Put oil in a pan and add vermicelli. Roast vermicelli on medium low flame by stirring continuously till it becomes light brown in colour. Keep on stirring to get roasted uniformly.
- Once roasted transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan put oil and make it slightly hot.
- Now add mustard seeds and let it splutters.
- Add curry leaves, green chilly and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped veggies (potato, carrot, French beans, onion) and sauté for a minute.
- Cover the lid and let the veggies cooked for 2 minutes on medium low flame.
- Uncover the lid and add red bell pepper and green capsicum, green peas. Sauté for a minute. You can add veggies as per your taste.
- Now add roasted vermicelli and mix it well.
- Add 2-3 cups of water, salt, black pepper, red chilly powder and mix it well.
- Cover the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium low flame.
- After 4 minutes open the lid and you will see vermicelli has cooked properly and water gets evaporated. If there is any moisture then cook on high flame by stirring continuously but gently till water evaporates.
- Lastly add spring onions, coriander leaves, and lemon juice, mix it well.
- Vermicelli Upma is ready to serve. Serve hot.