The name of the exotic dessert recipe we are going to discuss today is ‘Zebra Swiss Roll’. Most of you would mistake it for a Zebra Cake Roll of Swiss origin, just as I did on my first encounter. But the fascinating thing about it is that it’s nowhere from Switzerland. Rather, the humble Wikipedia discloses that it’s probably from Austria. Just like its origin hardly matters, so does its name. Some of my friends call it by ‘Cream Roll’ while others recognise it by ‘Swiss Log’. But how does it matter as long as the cake in yummy cream/ Nutella/ chocolate ganache/ icecream tastes good and goes along with a hot cuppa!
So, here I am today, discussing the fascinating Zebra Swiss Roll recipe! My personal experience in learning this sponge cake filled with icing or jam or whipped cream was a bit challenging. But the smile on my children’s face on serving it was worth more than all the troubles, I had taken while preparing it. That’s when I decided to share with you the simplest version of the recipe of Swiss Roll on tawa.
You can try out this eye-catching dessert at home and show off your baking skills in the next family gathering. Hope you would love this Zebra Cake recipe as much as you relished Pineapple Upside Down Cake and Strawberry Mousse!
Zebra Swiss Roll in Pan
- Add baking powder,all-purpose flour, powdered sugar and soda into a mixing bowl to prepare the dry mixture.
- Arrange the wet mixture in another bowl by mixing vanilla essence and condensed milk.
- Not more than 4 drops of vanilla essence should be used.
- Now, add the dry mixture to the wet one and beat them well with a wire whisk until no lumps are there.
- Pour melted butter and oil to the batter and mix until it absorbs the latter. Then, add vinegar to it.
- Keep a portion of the batter as it is and to the other half add cocoa powder as shown in the picture.
- Fill out two different piping bags with each of the batter.
Instructions for cake :
- Take a non stick pan and oil grease it properly
- Pour out 1 tbsp. of vanilla batter and top it with 1 tbsp. of chocolate batter. Repeat the layering process, until you finish all the batter.
- Ultimately the batter will look like the picture below.
- Tap your pan against your countertop to get rid of air bubbles from the batter. Then, mount it onto a hot tawa and put the lid on for baking.
- Bake on medium to low flame for straight 15-20 minutes. Turn off the flame afterwards and insert a toothpick to check if it comes out clean.
- Keep the pan aside to let it cool.
- Later, take it out onto a butter paper. Cut them into two halves and flatten them with the help of a rolling pin.
- Use parchment paper or kitchen towel to roll them into nice cylindrical shapes and keep aside for some time.
Instructions for Swiss roll:
- Unroll each of them and smear a thin layer of cream right at the centre, leaving 1-inch along the edges.
- Now, again roll them into cylindrical shapes with the help of butter paper.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Take them out later and cut them to give your Zebra Swiss Rolls round shape. Serve chilled and let your guests relish them.